The Proposed Development
Click the image for a larger view
The proposed development comprises the demolition of the Imperial Commercials Gloucester DAF Trucks dealership and the erection of a new Lidl food store together with associated car parking, servicing and landscaping. The store will positively contribute to the surrounding facilities, services and employment opportunities, as well as enhancing the existing retail offer in Gloucester.
The new food store will extend to 2,125 sq.m gross internal area, with a net sales area of 1,325 sq.m. Vehicular access to the site will use the existing access off Mercia Road.
The store will be supported by 152 car parking spaces, including 8 disabled parking spaces and 7 parent and child spaces near to the store entrance. Secure cycle storage will also be provided. A trolley bay is located adjacent to the store entrance.
Pedestrians will be able to access the site from a separate entrance off Mercia Road and two zebra crossings will be provided to safely connect the pedestrian access point to the store entrance.
All waste will be stored within the warehouse area and will be collected at the same time as deliveries, thereby minimising HGV movements within the car parking area.
Benefits of the Proposed Development
The new Lidl food store will provide the following benefits to the forthcoming new local centre and surrounding local area:
- A purpose built store which provides a clean and fresh shopping experience to meet the needs of customers;
- A dedicated in-store bakery;
- Improved shopping choice and provision of a new mainstream discount operator for north Gloucester and the surrounding area;
- A contemporary building design that will complement the surrounding area along with development of currently vacant land;
- Employment opportunities, including up to 40 new jobs for local residents;
- Landscaping will improve the visual amenity of the site including soft landscaping around the boundary of the site.
It is proposed that the food store will be open between the hours of:
- 8am to 10pm Monday to Saturday (including Bank Holidays), and
- 10am to 4pm or 11am to 5pm Sunday